Submit a Guest Post
Submit a Guest Post to Writing Forward
Writing Forward publishes articles on the craft of writing with an emphasis on creative writing (fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction). Our mission is to help writers expand their skills and to provide insight and inspiration.
If you have an idea for a guest post that you think would be a good fit for this site, you are welcome to submit it for consideration. Please make sure your submission adheres to the following guidelines:
- If you write fiction, poetry, or creative nonfiction, then this is probably a great venue for your submission. There are many excellent blogs out there that address business, technical, academic, and commercial writing (including copywriting). This is not one of them.
- We do not care if you have any publishing credits or clips. Guest posts are accepted on the merit of the work. Unpublished and published writers are all welcome to submit.
- The content of your submission should be in accordance with the subject matter published on Writing Forward. Take some time to peruse the site and make sure your topic aligns with the material covered here. Note that our emphasis is on the craft of writing.
- We recommend you submit a query before sending a full post. Your query should include the proposed title, a brief synopsis, your email address, and your bio (your bio may include a link to your site and an image).
- We do not accept articles that are already published elsewhere on the web. Once your article is published here, we ask that you do not publish it anywhere else on the web (although we encourage you to link to it). Duplicate content will be removed.
- Response time to guest post submissions is less than a week, so we do not accept simultaneous submissions.
- Your full post should be sent as a Word attachment.
- Accepted submissions are subject to editing for mechanics and style. Writing Forward adheres to the style guidelines set forth in The Chicago Manual of Style. We may make some light revisions to your post to adhere to our style guidelines.
- The writing should be well crafted, focused, and of a professional quality. Make sure you proofread your post before sending it! This is, after all, a blog about quality writing. While we will fix minor mechanical issues, we do not accept posts that are riddled with grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes.
- If you’ve already guest posted at Writing Forward, we’d love you submit another post. However, please limit your submissions to one per month.
- Please do include a short author bio that includes an image and a link to your website.
Submissions are evaluated for content, craftsmanship, and relevance to Writing Forward’s audience.
Your guest post and your bio may include links. However, links to commercial or spammy websites may be rejected and removed from your post prior to publication. If you are sending your submission strictly to get a backlink to a commercial website for SEO purposes, be aware that Writing Forward is highly selective about the quality of links that appear on-site. We accept articles for the value of their content and to promote authors and enrich the writing community. Do not send a submission if your backlink is conditional. We also do not publish posts or links that are generated by online marketing firms running SEO campaigns for commercial websites.
Guest writers are encouraged to include an author’s bio with their submissions. The bio should be short (approximately 25-75 words) and may include a link to your website and a small (125×125 pixels) photo. In lieu of a bio, be sure to specify your (pen) name for the article’s byline.
At this time, we do not offer compensation for guest posts.
Writing Forward does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, etc. We promote an atmosphere of tolerance and provide a safe place for all writers to focus on writing.
To that end, we also do not publish links to any websites that contain offensive or hateful content that violates our own non-discrimination policy. If your guest post includes links to any website with content that we construe as offensive or which does not adhere to our non-discrimination policy, your links will be deactivated, even if the discovery is made after your post has been published. In extreme cases, we may take down your entire post. While we respect your right to be intolerant and judgmental, we also reserve the right to refuse to promote or support websites and individuals who spread hate and intolerance.
How to Get Started
Please include a query letter in the body of an email introducing yourself and summarizing your proposed guest post. Send to melissa (at) writingforward.com or use our contact form. You’ll hear back from us within one week.
Good luck, and keep writing!