10 Outstanding Creative Writing Blogs
Over the years, I’ve found some truly outstanding creative writing blogs.
Today, I’d like to share a few of my favorites. Some of these blogs offer helpful writing tips, techniques, and ideas. Others broadcast the latest news and information in the world of reading, writing, and publishing. All of them are incredibly useful.
I hope you’ll check them out.
Outstanding Creative Writing Blogs
- The Write Practice: Each post presents an essential writing concept (with an emphasis on storytelling) and includes an exercise at the end, which prompts you to put the concept into practice.
- Writer Beware: Keeping writers informed and safe, Writer Beware publishes “warnings about the schemes, scams, and pitfalls that threaten writers.” It’s one of the best writer advocacy sites on the web!
- Novel Publicity: This is a one-stop-shop where you can pick up quality tips and insights on writing, publishing, and marketing, plus access a full suite of professional services for writers. If you’re thinking about self-publishing your work and need some help, this is a good place to go.
- Wired for Story: I’m bummed because it looks like this one hasn’t been updated in a few months, but it doesn’t matter — there are gems of wisdom in the archives. And if you haven’t picked it up already, get the book Wired for Story. It’s a must-read for fiction writers!
- The Writing Reader: This blog is packed with writing prompts based on words and images interspersed with link round-ups and the occasional article on craft. Each post includes prompts for a variety of forms, including fiction, journaling, art, and nonfiction.
- The Passive Voice: This treasure trove of news and information gets updated several times a day, often with excerpts from some of the best articles on creative writing from around the web. I find something worth reading here every single day and have discovered new blogs and websites too!
- Write to Done: It’s no wonder this is one of the most popular writing blogs. It’s clean, crisp, and maintains high editorial standards. If you’re looking for top-notch advice on the craft of writing with a few posts on publishing and marketing sprinkled in for good measure, this one’s perfect for you.
- The Creative Penn: Joanna Penn is a successful, self-published novelist whose books have sold over 40,000 copies. She has a wealth of experience to share. Her site features tons of valuable resources on writing, publishing, and marketing, including fully transcribed podcasts and interviews with writing professionals.
- Booking Through Thursday: Technically, this is a blog for readers rather than writers. But as we all know, plenty of reading is necessary to good writing. There’s a new post every Thursday that poses a question about books and reading. Be sure to check out the comments, where readers share their responses to the weekly questions.
- A. Victoria Mixon, Editor: My favorite thing about this blog is Victoria Mixon’s voice. She speaks honestly and with experience and wisdom. At the same time, her posts are a delight to read. She covers a wide range of writing-related topics and is highly active in the online writing community.
One of the things I love about blogs is that I can subscribe to them and get regular updates. I know a lot of people subscribe via email, but I like to use Google Reader. It keeps all my blog subscriptions organized in one location, so I can easily manage and keep track of them. By the way, if you have a Google account, you’ve already got access to Google Reader.
I’m always on the lookout for creative writing blogs. If you have any favorites you’d like to share, leave a comment. (I’m especially looking for blogs on the craft of poetry writing.)
Enjoy, and keep writing!