Writing Prompts for Music Lovers
Some days, ideas don’t come easily.
You may find yourself staring at a blank screen or doodling in your notebook with nothing to write about.
You may find that you’d rather just listen to some music or go out dancing. Maybe you’d rather play your guitar, practice your singing, or go to a concert?
If you’re a writer and a music lover, then these creative writing prompts are perfect for you. They’ll infuse your words with musicality and make your writing rock.
Writing prompts are a great way to break through writer’s block. Try the prompts below and see for yourself!
Below, there are two sets of prompts to choose from. First you’ll find a series of word lists. Pick any of these lists and use all the words from the list you’ve chosen in a piece of writing. Or mix and match the words. The possibilities are endless.
Below the word lists, you’ll find a series of music-related creative writing prompts that are designed to spark a writing session. Some get you thinking about your own relationship with music while others give you a scene where music is a key player.
Use these prompts to write anything you want: a short story, a poem, an essay, an article, or fill a page in your journal.
|The Composer||The Player||The Singer||The Listener||The Dancer|
More Musically Inspired Writing Prompts:
- A six-year-old girl comes home from school one day to find a piano sitting in the living room. “What’s that for?” she asks her mother. “Today, you start piano lessons,” her mom says.
- What was the first record you ever bought? Do you still like listening to it?
- After a twenty-year career as a successful, underground singer with a voice that gives audiences chills, a singer with no other skills or experience loses his or her voice.
- Have you ever played an instrument or performed music for a live audience? Ever recorded yourself singing?
- A talented and homeless twenty-something is busking in the subway. A well-to-do Julliard student passes by, then stops, turns around, and approaches the busker with the offer of a lifetime.
- Do you prefer to sing in the shower or in the car?
- After years of writing commercial jingles and cheesy, B-movie scores, a composer writes a masterful piece that propels him or her into the limelight.
- Are you one of those people who “don’t dance?” Why? Do you think everyone is watching you?
- A young, professional dancer injures her knee and can never dance professionally again. She decides if she can’t move to the music, she’ll make it. Which instrument does she choose and why?
Enjoy these creative writing prompts, rock on, and keep writing!
Did these creative writing prompts inspire you? Got any prompts or writing ideas to share? Leave a comment!