Building an audience is one of the keys to a successful writing career. After all, your books won’t sell themselves. Someone needs to promote you and your work. Unless you can hire an expensive marketing or PR firm, chances are that someone will be you.
You can build a readership and promote your writing with an author’s website. Setting up a website can be quite affordable, but building a website that gets results requires hard work and discipline, combining the art of writing with technical skills and marketing savvy. That’s a lot to learn.
I can help — I specialize in building and managing author websites.
I started Writing Forward in September 2007 with little more than a creative writing degree and some HTML skills. In 2009, and again in 2012, Writer’s Digest named it one of the “101 Best Websites for Writers.” Today, Writing Forward receives over 100,000 visits per month, and that number continues to grow. Over the years, I’ve learned a lot about running an author website and how to do it successfully. And I can help you do the same.
Author Website Services
All services are tailored to your goals and needs:
- Website design and build.
- Website maintenance and management, including updating content and making changes to design.
- Content development and management for social media, mailing lists, and other online marketing efforts.
- Website and blog coaching: learn how to manage your own site and blog to build an audience.
I will work closely with you to make sure that your online presence reflects your authorship and creative vision.
Author Website Services
Take a look at the online marketing services that I provide for authors:
Author Website Design and Build
I’ll work with you to make sure your website design matches your writing style and genre. Using a practical, user-friendly content management system called WordPress, I’ll build a website that you can manage and update.
- Image consistency: a look that aligns with your creative vision as an author.
- Reader-focused and user friendly: a website designed with your readers in mind.
- Manageable: you’ll be able to change the text and images on your site in minutes.
- Affordable: I can work within your budget and deliver a professional site that’s also affordable.
- Flexible: if you want to enhance or upgrade your design later, I won’t have to rebuild it from the ground up.
You’ll be able to log in and add, change, or remove content on your website. If you can use a web-based e-mail program, you can manage your own website. It’s that easy!
Once your website launches, it needs to be maintained. Regular website maintenance keeps your site healthy and secure. But you should also regularly add content, update the design, run backups, and track your website’s performance. I provide all these tasks and more:
- Website maintenance: Keep software updated, moderate comments, perform health and security checks, backups, and performance reporting.
- Content updates: Upload and publish content; provide editing and image processing to ensure clean copy and optimum performance; search engine optimization.
- Design changes: From minor adjustments to complete overhauls, I’ll keep your design fresh and functional.
- Marketing strategies: I’ll work with you to create marketing campaigns to promote your writing online.
- Monetization: Develop profit streams to boost your author income.
Let a pro manage your website, so you can focus on your writing.
Social Media and Online Marketing
Once you publish a book or launch a website, you need to tell the world about it. Social media and other methods of online marketing are effective and affordable ways to get your message out to the reading public. Here’s how I can help:
- Design and build social media profiles that are consistent with your style and author brand.
- Work with you to create content for social media and other marketing campaigns.
- Manage social media accounts with regular updates to promote your work and build a following.
- Develop and manage an author mailing list to create a direct connection to your readers.
- Assist with other online marketing efforts ranging from your Amazon author page to Goodreads giveaways.
- Provide consultations to advise on the best social media platforms and online marketing strategies for your goals.
Website and Blog Coaching
All coaching is tailored to your goals and skill level. Weekly e-mail sessions cover the following:
- Blog Writing: Get honest feedback and professional editing on your blog posts with insights on formatting and structuring content for an online audience.
- WordPress: Comprehensive tutorials and personalized guidance on using WordPress to manage your author website.
- Tech and Administration: Learn how to maintain everything from your hosting and domain registration to your traffic reports and peripheral marketing tools.
- Marketing: Find out which online marketing options are right for you, and learn how to leverage social media to promote your work.
- Support and guidance: One-on-one access to an experienced mentor who can provide clear answers.
Rates for website design vary, depending on the size and scope of the project. You’ll receive a quote in advance, and there’s no obligation until you issue a deposit.
For ongoing projects, such as website management and blog coaching, rates are as follows:
- $225 per month: one hour per week.
- $325 per month: two hours per week.
- $425 per month: three hours per week.
How to Get Started
Let me know if you’re interested in a new website or a redesign, ongoing website management, or blog coaching. If you already have a website, include the address so I can take a look.