All of today’s prompts come from my book 1200 Creative Writing Prompts. Enjoy!
Technology has become so ingrained in modern, civilized culture that sometimes we don’t even notice it. When was the last time you marveled at a train, a toaster, or a television? Most of us aren’t even fazed by the marvel of mobile phones anymore. The shine of new technology wears off fast.
There are those who believe technology is bad for society. There’s over-reliance on gadgets, attention spans are shrinking, kids don’t play outside anymore…the list of complaints about the negative impact of technology goes on and on.
But that’s not my list. I love technology. I love having a universe of information at my fingertips. I love carrying around my entire music collection in my pocket. I love getting a new book with a couple of clicks. I love online shopping, social media, blogging, and the many applications on my computer that make writing fun and easy.
I can’t wait to see what technologies hit the mainstream next!
Creative Writing Prompts
These creative writing prompts encourage you to think about technology. Whether you’re including technology in a story or writing about your views of technology, it’s something that almost certainly affects your daily life. Use the prompts below to write a poem, a short story, an essay…whatever you’re inspired to write. Have fun!
- The year is 1623. A visitor arrives in a small, tribal village in Nigeria. The visitor is wearing blue jeans, an old rock-band t-shirt, and a fedora and is carrying a pack that contains a solar-powered laptop computer.
- Write a poem using the following image: a pile of old, dusty electronics.
- What do you think the world of technology will look like in ten years? Twenty? What kind of computers, phones, and other devices will we use? Will technology improve travel? Health care? What do you expect to see and what would you like to see?
- At the height of human technological development, a special child is born who can communicate telepathically with computers and other mechanical and electronic devices.
- Think about how you use technology in your professional life. What would your job be like without technology? Could it be done at all? Write an article about how technology is (or isn’t) important to your career.
- Kids these days—and their gadgets! Write a short story exploring how the next generation is plugged in all the time. Does technology cut them off from the real world, or does it allow them to connect with a larger circle of other people?
- Write a descriptive essay about a gadget, device, or other new technology that you wish someone would invent.
- Write a poem using the following image: a robot assembling products on a factory line.
- Write a story about someone who is about to lose his or her job because of technology.
- Write a personal essay about what you would do with your own personal robot.
Did any of these creative writing prompts inspire you? Which one will you use to inspire a writing session? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment, and keep writing!