Today’s post includes a selection of prompts from 1200 Creative Writing Prompts. Enjoy!
Civilization. Society. Culture.
We live in a complex world fraught with struggles.
Most of us are so busy worrying about our own personal problems that we have little time to think about problems that plague our communities, countries, and the planet.
Yet many of us want to be good citizens and stewards. We want to do our part to make the world a little better, or perhaps a lot better.
These are values of social consciousness that we can express through our writing.
Creative Writing Prompts
Social consciousness simply means that we are aware of the problems that exist in society. The creative writing prompts below will inspire you to think about those problems critically.
Feel free to do a little research on any of these prompts before you start writing. Choose whichever prompts strike you as most interesting, and feel free to change the prompt to suit your interests and concerns. If a prompt asks you to write a short story but you’d rather just freewrite about the topic in your journal, then do that instead. Good luck!
- In a country that rants and raves about freedom, the government decides that its people should not be allowed to drink liquor. Write a story set during Prohibition in the United States.
- Use all of the following words in a poem: humanity, hunger, equality, power, greed, redemption, freedom.
- Write a few paragraphs describing censorship. Include examples of how, when, and where censorship might occur. Is it ever okay to censor a book? Who has the right to censor a book? Is it ever okay for the government to censor its citizens?
- Choose a cause that you feel is worthy and write an article persuading others to join that cause.
- What are your thoughts and feelings on violence? Is it ever justified?
- Write a poem about civil service.
- If you could change one thing in the world, what would you change and why?
- Think of a major worldwide problem: for example, hunger, global warming, or political corruption. Write an article outlining a solution (or steps toward a solution).
- Write a poem about poverty.
- You get to cure one disease. Which disease do you choose and why? Do you choose the disease that affects the most people or the one that has affected you or your loved ones?
Do you have any socially conscious creative writing prompts to share? How often do you use prompts for ideas and inspiration? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment, and keep writing!