15 Tasty Creative Writing Prompts
Today’s post features a selection of prompts from 1200 Creative Writing Prompts. Enjoy!
We all want our writing to be compelling, even mesmerizing. One effective way to captivate readers is to engage their senses.
When you trigger a reader’s sense of sight, smell, sound, touch, or taste, you illicit a physiological response to your writing, and the reader will connect with it on a deeper, sensory level.
Food is a fantastic way to stimulate readers’ senses, because food has the rare ability to affect any or all of the senses. We see food, smell it, touch it, and taste it. We even hear it. Just think about french fries sizzling in a greasy skillet. Mmm.
Writing about food or incorporating food into our writing are ideal ways to engage readers’ senses. That’s why today’s creative writing prompts focus on food, drink, and delectable treats.
Creative Writing Prompts — Good Enough to Eat
Choose one of the creative writing prompts below and write a story, a poem, an essay, or a journal entry. Try to convey each of the five senses in whatever you write (sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch).
- Write about a banana split: three scoops of ice cream with banana halves on either side and a big mound of whipped cream on top laced with chocolate sauce and sprinkled with chopped nuts—all topped off with a plump red cherry.
- After a light but satisfying meal, you order dessert. It’s rich, sweet, and freshly baked. You bite into it and your taste buds explode with delight.
- Write about the smell of cheesy, doughy, saucy, spicy pizza baking in the oven.
- You dip your chip into a bowl of salsa, and when you take a bite, your mouth goes up in red-hot flames.
- Write about the fizzing sound of cola being poured into a glass full of ice cubes.
- You’re feeling under the weather, so you put the teapot on. Soon it starts to scream.
- Write about the taste of medicine: cherry-flavored cough syrup.
- Describe a grand feast: the spread of a holiday meal.
- Write about waking up to the smell of hot, freshly brewed coffee.
- It’s Halloween and you’re bobbing for apples. You stick your face in the cool water, chomp around searching for purchase, and feel the apples bumping against your face and floating away from you. Then you get a ripe little apple lodged firmly between your teeth.
- Write about the sound in your head when you munch on crispy chips or crunchy crackers.
- You’re digging your fingers through a box of hot, buttered, salted popcorn in a dark movie theater.
- Write about the squishy sensation of kneading dough between your fingers and the smooth texture of it when you pat it and roll it out.
- There’s a big bowl of chilled, fresh summer fruit in the fridge. It’s colorful, juicy, and sweet.
- You’re driving through town with your windows down, and you pass that intersection where you can smell all the fast food restaurants.
Did you find these creative writing prompts helpful or challenging? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment. And keep writing!