12 Nature-Inspired Creative Writing Prompts
Creative writing prompts are excellent tools for writers who are feeling uninspired or who simply want to tackle a new writing challenge. Today’s creative writing prompts focus on nature.
For centuries, writers have been composing poems that celebrate nature, stories that explore it, and essays that analyze it.
Nature is a huge source of inspiration for all creative people. You can find it heavily featured in film, television, art, and music.
Creative Writing Prompts
You can use these creative writing prompts in any way you choose. Sketch a scene, write a poem, draft a story, or compose an essay. The purpose of these prompts is to inspire you, so take the images they bring to your mind and run with them. And have fun!
- A young girl and her mother walk to the edge of a field, kneel down in the grass, and plant a tree.
- A small team of graduate students are conducting research at sea when they are overtaken by a wild storm.
- A middle-aged man wakes up in a seemingly endless field of wildflowers in full bloom.
- A family of five from a large, urban city decides to spend their one-week vacation camping.
- An elderly couple traveling through the desert spend an evening stargazing.
- A woman is working in her garden.
- Some people are hiking in the woods when they are suddenly surrounded by hundreds of butterflies.
- A person who lives in a metropolitan apartment connects with nature through the birds that come to the window.
- A group of college students launch a project to grow their own food so they can eat healthier and be closer to nature.
- A rural family moves into a big city, or
- A city family moves to the country.
- Two adolescents, a sister and brother, are visiting their relatives’ farm and witness a sow giving birth.
As you work through these prompts, contemplate them as scenes and ask questions about what is going on. Give the people and places names. Come up with unexpected reasons why the people are in the given circumstance. Let nature be a character in the scene by making it vivid and active.
Again, you can use these creative writing prompts to write anything at all–poems, stories, songs, essays, blog posts, or just sit down and start freewriting.